It’s been a few months since we returned from sailing through Croatia, but we still are finding photos and videos and we have to keep sharing. The trip was amazing. We actually have made a video of sailing Croatia, a vlog, that highlights ALL of our ports of call. I know, a sailing trip through the Dalmatian Isles could mean stopping over a hundred times, but we kept it to the most interesting islands with the best experiences.
You’ll find that Croatia has a different kind of charm than other European countries. We loved exploring France and Italy, but Croatia is amazing. If you’re comparing countries and trying to make a decision about where to plan a trip to, check out the vlog below and compare the sights with some of these gorgeous towns in France. Tough choice…
Why create a long video of sailing Croatia?
Quite simply, we know that people would often rather watch a video than read all the details. Still photos are wonderful for telling a story, but actually seeing the moving life of a place captures it much better. Please take a few minutes to watch our first ever vlog and get inspired to take a trip to Croatia!
In the vlog of sailing Croatia…
You’ll see lots of familiar places if you tracked along with either our journal of sailing Croatia or any of our travel guide posts for the different Dalmatian Isles and Croatian towns. Here’s the timeline for our video of sailing Croatia if you want to skip through to anything specific:
- Beginning – Split, Mainland Croatia – exploring our departure port on foot, including climbing the bell tower
- 0:30 – Milna, Brač, Croatia – first port of call, Milna on the island of Brač is the perfect, sleepy fishing village full of small artisan shops, including local winemakers and fresh pressed olive oil.
- 1:00 – Jerolim, tiny island off coast, Croatia – this small getaway island is perfect for day trips from the larger islands. It is clothing optional with rolling hills of rosemary, stray cats and perfect coves.
1:52 – Hvar, Croatia – known for its nightclubs and open air bars, it’s also home to an incredible fortress high above the city.
- Take a look at our travel journal for ideas on Jerolim and Hvar
2:32 – Vis, Croatia – the perfect medieval port town, Vis is perfect for biking or exploring on foot, many swimming and bikingoptions as well. It’s kind of too beautiful to capture in a vlog or photos. You have to experience it for yourself.
- Check out our travel guide for the best things to do in Vis
- 4:15 – Korčula, Croatia – the birthplace of Marco Polo, Korčula is one of the few remaining examples of a picturesque walled city. Vlog shows what’s also beyond Korčula’s walls.
5:07 – Polače, Mljet, Croatia – one of the tiniest ports of call, this is the gateway to Mljet National Park, lagoons, and a 12th century monastery. *not included in Croatia sailing vlog – renting a car. See travel guide for details.
- Our travel guide for the Island of Mljet covers both the ports of Polače and Okuklje, as well as other options to get to the island of Mljet.
- 5:46 – Okuklje, Mljet, Croatia – our favorite port while sailing Croatia, from hiking, swimming, grappa tasting and more, we coud’ve stayed several days.
6:28 – Dubrovnik, Croatia – we’ve already written two articles about exploring Dubrovnik, but now you can see just how incredible of a city it is. Vlog includes walking the city wall, Fort Lovrijnac and more.
- See our travel guide for multi-day itineraries for Dubrovnik
- Also check out our plans for enjoying Dubrovnik in the rain
Note: we’ve also posted our video of sailing Croatia to YouTube as well, so feel free to save it there or subscribe to our channel if you like!
We hope you enjoy our first vlog. Please let us know if you have any questions about of video of sailing Croatia, the process of planning a sailing trip, recommendations in any of our ports, or anything else. We’re here to help!!
And want to pin this video or page for coming back to later? Go for it!!!
Saturday 24th of October 2020
Utterly awesome vlog. Do you have a youtube channel? I would love to subscribe.
Friday 22nd of February 2019
Hey there Chris and Rob!
I am from Croatia and I am a blogger myself.
Maybe you'd like to check my one-day itinerary for your starting point Split. There is more to see than bell tower :)
Here is the link to it - http://onedayitinerary.com/one-day-in-split-itinerary/
Also, I am sure you heard of a beautiful city of Sibenik (my hometown). I wrote about it too.
Here is the link if you are interested - http://onedayitinerary.com/one-day-in-sibenik-itinerary/
Looking forward to hearing from you and reading new posts. Regards,
Monday 14th of January 2019
Sailing through the Dalmatian Islands is one of my dream adventures. There are so many incredible ports and things to do. An awesome video showcasing the wonder. It's always fun to see you guys in action.
Thursday 10th of January 2019
Oh! This is such an amazing videos. Makes me want to pack my bags and fly to Croatia. Never knew sailing is a thing there. It's nice that you have mentioned in the blog what all you visited.
Monday 7th of January 2019
I watching videos sometimes, because it really makes you feel like you are there! I love how you outlined what is in the video with time points too. Very helpful.